[etherlab-users] EtherCAT newbie - NXIO 100-RE
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-12 10:04:07 UTC
Hi all,

I'm a bloody EtherCAT newbie and I'd like to implement a simple
application, which communicates with the NXIO 100-RE board, which has 16
digital in-/ and outputs. Via the ethercat utility I exported the slave
configuration to XML (see attachment) and I tried to adapt the user
example, to communicate with the board - without any succes right now.

Could anyony give me some hints, how I have to proceed?

thanks,
Clemens

Important Notice:
This electronic transmission (including any attachments) is intended solely for the use and information
of the addressee(s). It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized use
or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited.If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender immediately and delete the message and its attachments.
The sender does not guarantee the integrity of this transmission and shall therefore never be liable if
the message is altered or falsified nor for any virus, interception or damage to your system.
Christian Gieseler
2009-02-12 13:45:59 UTC
Hi Clemens,

If you don´t get any error messages when you start your application the master is running. If not check the debug output and make sure the configuration looks the same like "ethercat pods" says. If you get no error you can check in the output of "ethercat slaves" if your NXIO slave is in operational state. If so you can receive and send data in the cyclic task by using the EC_Read and EC_Write macros that the master offers, and do whatever you want with the data. See in the html output of the doxygen documentation how to use the read an write macros.

Regards
Christian

If you want to communicate
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-12 15:19:42 UTC
Hi Christian,

the application starts without any error.
ethercat slaves says, my slave is in PREOP state (see slaves.txt - how to get it in operational?).
In debug outputs I see, that frames are sent (containing my data) and received. The received frames mostly look like the sent ones and also contain the sent data (see dmesg.txt).
So I think communication is working fine, maybe the slave is miss-configured. I received a new configuration file from the board vendor but I don't know how to transform the XML to SII format to send it to the slave via the ethercat utility.
Do you have any further suggestions or do you see something strange in the files?

regards,
Clemens

If you donŽt get any error messages when you start your application the master is running. If not check the debug output and make sure the configuration looks the same like "ethercat pods" says. If you get no error you can check in the output of "ethercat slaves" if your NXIO slave is in operational state. If so you can receive and send data in the cyclic task by using the EC_Read and EC_Write macros that the master offers, and do whatever you want with the data. See in the html output of the doxygen documentation how to use the read an write macros.

Regards
Christian

If you want to communicate

Christian Gieseler
2009-02-12 16:56:12 UTC
I don´t know what you did in your code inbetween but i think that you swaped the Vendor ID and the Product ID in your define of #define NXIO_100RE.
And i am not sure if your sync manager configuration is right { 0, EC_DIR_OUTPUT, 4, nxio100_pdos },
shoud be { 0, EC_DIR_OUTPUT, 1, nxio100_pdos } in my opinion.

Double Check the hole programm. Maybe wrong indexes cause the problems.

When i had to write the sii i use a demo version of TwinCAt (30day evaluation) available on the Beckhoff site.

Regards

Christian

Maybe this is the reason for not getting the slave to operational state.
--
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-16 10:09:48 UTC
thanks for your advice!
You were right, I mixed up VendorId and ProductId.
I'm now able to write data to the board.
But when registering the second PDO of the board to the domain, neither writing nor reading is working.
The ethercat datagramm contains the correct output data but the slave is doing something strange.

Do you have any idea, what could cause the problem ?

thanks,
Clemens

Christian Gieseler
2009-02-17 07:59:24 UTC
Hello Clemens
There are two things i found that may cause your problems:

First in your domain1_regs the inputs of the slave to the master are commented out, so off_dig_in has not the correct value and you don´t write to the correct spot.

Then second you did not specify the bit-offset in your domain1_regs. Since your pdos are not full bytes this can cause trouble when writing, reading the domain_pd.

Regards Christian
Post by Fuchs Clemens
Post by Fuchs Clemens
Could anyony give me some hints, how I have to proceed?
thanks,
Clemens
--
Jetzt 1 Monat kostenlos! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a
Florian Pose
2009-02-17 08:34:20 UTC
Post by Fuchs Clemens
But when registering the second PDO of the board to the domain, neither writing nor reading is working.
The ethercat datagramm contains the correct output data but the slave is doing something strange.
Do you have any idea, what could cause the problem ?
you can analyze the current slave configuration with the 'ethercat
config -v' command and the process data exchange with the 'ethercat
domain -v' command.

If you get no further information from this, it is usually helpful to

1) start the master
2) set the debug level to 1 with 'ethercat debug 1'
3) load your application
4) post the logs of the configuration process (from 'Requesting master
X...')
--
Best regards,
Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-17 13:00:44 UTC
It's confusing me more and more:
I contacted Hirlscher to get new firmware for NXIO-100RE. I also received a XML description of the slave (Hilscher NXIO 100RE ECS.xml).
When querying XML description via ethercat xml I receive a completely different description (nxio100re.xml).
The info got via ethercat sii_read (ssi.bin) seems to match "Hilscher NXIO 100RE ECS.xml" (I found matching HEX values).

Are there some inconsitencies on my device or do I missunderstand something ?

Clemens

Florian Pose
2009-02-24 13:47:32 UTC
Post by Fuchs Clemens
I contacted Hirlscher to get new firmware for NXIO-100RE. I also received a XML description of the slave (Hilscher NXIO 100RE ECS.xml).
When querying XML description via ethercat xml I receive a completely different description (nxio100re.xml).
The info got via ethercat sii_read (ssi.bin) seems to match "Hilscher NXIO 100RE ECS.xml" (I found matching HEX values).
Are there some inconsitencies on my device or do I missunderstand something ?
The device description generated by the master contains only basic
information an can not be complete, because no all of the information
can be queried from the slave. Moreover the generated XML contains PDO
information read from the SDO dictionary.

If you are looking for the PDOs currently available, have a look at
'ethercat pdos', they are the same as in the generated XML file.
--
Best regards,
Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-25 14:53:15 UTC
ethercat pdo is saying:

SM0: PhysAddr 0x1000, DefaultSize 128, ControlRegister 0x36, Enable 1
SM1: PhysAddr 0x1080, DefaultSize 128, ControlRegister 0x32, Enable 1
SM2: PhysAddr 0x1100, DefaultSize 4, ControlRegister 0x74, Enable 1
RxPDO 0x1600 "RxPDO 1"
PDO entry 0x2004:20, 3 bit, ""
SM3: PhysAddr 0x1358, DefaultSize 4, ControlRegister 0x30, Enable 1
TxPDO 0x1a00 "TxPDO 1"
PDO entry 0x2007:20, 3 bit, ""

but this is not, what is written in Hilschers XML and what sii_read is saying - why?

Florian Pose
2009-03-02 10:12:37 UTC
Post by Fuchs Clemens
SM0: PhysAddr 0x1000, DefaultSize 128, ControlRegister 0x36, Enable 1
SM1: PhysAddr 0x1080, DefaultSize 128, ControlRegister 0x32, Enable 1
SM2: PhysAddr 0x1100, DefaultSize 4, ControlRegister 0x74, Enable 1
RxPDO 0x1600 "RxPDO 1"
PDO entry 0x2004:20, 3 bit, ""
SM3: PhysAddr 0x1358, DefaultSize 4, ControlRegister 0x30, Enable 1
TxPDO 0x1a00 "TxPDO 1"
PDO entry 0x2007:20, 3 bit, ""
but this is not, what is written in Hilschers XML and what sii_read is saying - why?
The PDOs and Entries you are seeing have been read from the SDO
dictionary. Since they are configurable, the information from the XML
and SII is not useful.
--
Best regards,
Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org
li.peng
2009-02-26 02:05:37 UTC
Dear Clemens,
The Hilscher's device can not support LRW.
So you should use two domain : one to read and one to write.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Best regards,
Li.peng

htt
Fuchs Clemens
2009-02-26 07:33:11 UTC

I already use two domains and sending data is working.
But I don't can receive data.